August 31, 2011

Review: Tuff Scents

Hello hello everyone!  A long while ago I had read on a blog that a company called Tuff Scents was going to be releasing polishes.  Now, I believe the blog said that they had been around before and were re-emerging, but I can't remember.  It was about six months ago.  I clicked the link to the site and was very intrigued.  The scents were nothing like the fruity, girly scents that we've seen from Color Club or Revlon, but they were more natural, beautiful type scents.  You can find anything from roses to pear to cinnamon scented polishes from Tuff Scents.  I was immediately sure that I had to try them!  I contacted the company and they were kind enough to send me a bottle of "Faith" to review.  

On the companies website, they don't say much about themselves as a company (i.e.: Are they 3 free? etc), they do, however, add that this time around the polish is a little pricier, but they donate $1 of every bottle to breast cancer awareness funds.  Something I support 100%.  

*Before I show you the pictures, I want to remind you of the fail that my manis have been lately. I don't have any SV and the top coat I've been using is a bubble monster. You have been warned. :)*

The bottle on these polishes is adorable.  I love them.  They are very heavy as well.  They are a long, skinny type bottle with a metal lid that is shaped like a  rose.  The brush inside is very long due to the bottle shape, but I didn't find it hard to work with.  Here is what the bottle looks like:


On the back of each bottle is a quote that corresponds to the name of each polish.  

The substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
I really like how the names are all kind of "explained."  

Now, on to the color itself.  It's great.  It looks like it could be a cousin (or maybe even a dupe) of Sally Hansen Pumpkin Spice.  I don't have it though, so I'm not sure.  I'll be doing a Halloween comparison sometime soon since I have so many orange glitters.  The formula on it was really good, needing only two even coats to completely cover.  There were no bald spots, not any dragging, and until I added top coat, no bubbles.  That really is the fault of the clear coat.  The glitter is hungry, so a thick top coat is recommended.  Other than that, I have nothing but love for this polish......


Except the smell.  I can't stand it!  It's not that it's so horrible, but I expected fig.  I'm going to be honest and say that I don't know what fig smells like, but this isn't what I expected.  This is very flowery to my nose.  Which is very unfortunate since floral scents clash horribly with my allergies.  It was almost an instant headache.  For that one reason I will be sending this polish to a friend who has already promised to put it to good use.  

Overall, I really liked my experience.  I would love to try a different scent sometime soon.  Since the brand is pricey ($14/bottle), it will have to wait, but I may consider purchasing some on special occasions or if there is a sale.  They also have free shipping to the US, so that's a plus! So, do I recommend this brand?  Absolutely.  If you don't have crappy allergies like I do, go check them out!  If you do, I want to know what you think.  Thanks for reading! 


hey